Friday, March 6, 2009

A Freelancer's Friday

Today is Friday. Most of the 9-5 working world is rejoicing because the weekend is here. I know because I used to be one of them. After recently transitioning to a full time freelancer, I find that no longer see Friday as anything special.

Well, I take that back. I have 2 children that are in school. Their schedule is a bit hectic during the week. I get up at 7 am and get them both ready. Chase is in first grade and has to be at school by 8:30. Since we live too close to the school for him to ride a bus, I have to drive him. I leave the house at 8:15 and am home by 8:25. Xander does not have to be at preschool until 9:30. He goes to a separate school because Chase's does not offer pre-k.

An hour is not enough time to thoroughly research and write an article. Or rather it's not enough time for me, yet. So I use that time to drink some coffee, eat breakfast, check my e-mail and plan my day. I leave the house at 9:20 and am home by 9:30. From 9:30 to about 12:20 I work. Meaning I research and write my assigned articles. At 12:20 I go pick Xander up and we come home. I fix his lunch (and mine) and by 1:00 pm he is playing comfortably in his room with Spongebob running in the background.

I work from 1:00 until 2:40. Then I get Xander ready and we go wait in the line to pick up Chase. After finally retrieving my oldest son, we make it home by about 3:15 and everyone gets a snack including me. By 3:30 both kids are playing in their room and I try to work until 5:00 assuming I have no interruptions.

At 5:00 I take a long break and start dinner. After dinner is homework time for both the kids and for me as I am an online student. The kids get their baths after homework and are usually in bed by 8:00. Depending on what I've gotten done that day dictates what I do from 8:00 pm until midnight. Most nights I am working. Some nights I am completing homework. Occasionally I am chilling on the couch with a cup of chamomile tea watching an episode on House from the DVR (love that thing).

So by Friday I am exhausted. I rejoice because most Fridays the kids go stay with their dad. This means that I have the entire weekend to work in peace. What? You expected me to go out with friends or go shopping? Nope, not this working mama. While I occasionally plan a nice dinner out, the weekends are my time to do my best work and complete any homework assignments.

So, once again, it's Friday and I'm happy, but not for the reasons the rest of the world is. Do you feel this way too? Let me know why you look forward to Fridays.

No comments:

Post a Comment