Monday, March 16, 2009

Becoming a Super Mom Whether You Work from Home or Not

I've been pretty proud of myself lately for having achieved the dream of writing as a career. There is something I'm a little bit "more proud" about though. I'm a single mom with two kids at home that have conflicting schedules and yet I still manage work, dinner, homework and my own college homework. Sometimes late at night, when I finally break from the computer, I think about what I have become. And not just me, but what mothers every where have become. Super Moms.

Older t.v. shows and movies show the stay at home mom as someone who sends her children to school and husband to work and then spends the morning cleaning. Then we see her attend tea or lunch with the "girls." She gets home just in time to prepare a perfect meal and everyone is happy.

Those days are gone. Many women today must work to make ends meet. Some work outside the home, some work from home and some may not "work" but they still work hard in the home making life comfortable for their families. It's all tough. It's all rewarding. It's all enough to make us all become Super Moms.

Some moms today work a full time job outside the home. They must get their children up at the crack of dawn, get them to daycare pronto and battle morning traffic to get to work. After a grueling 8 hour day (and sometimes a 9, 10, or even 12 hour day), battle rush hour traffic to pick up the kids and hurry home. Then it's dinner, bath, homework and then time for bed. Or if the kids are in extra-curricular activities, it's time to shuttle them from place to place before heading home. These moms are exhausted every night and have little time for themselves. Many of these moms are single moms and don't have any help. Yet they still do it all.

I used to work outside the home and I was responsible for carting the children from place to place, preparing dinner and doing the housework. Even though I was married and had help, it was still tough. I thought of myself as a Super Mom then.

Fast forward a year and I am a single mom. Fortunate enough to have found a way to stay home with my kids, I feel even more like a Super Mom. You can read my previous blog posts to get an idea of my schedule. Some days I feel like my head is spinning. Yet I manage to keep it together. I make sure the kids have their bath every night. I make sure they get their homework done. I attend school conferences. I even manage to spend some quality time with them. I still scratch my head in amazement at myself at being able to keep up with every thing. It's hard having no help, but very rewarding realizing my own independence. I have a renewed confidence in myself.

Moms have so much more responsibility now than they ever did before. It's time to honor yourself and other Super Moms out there. It doesn't matter what you do, all Super Moms work, just in different ways.

I declare today Super Mom day! Remember to do something nice for yourself today.

If you feel like a Super Mom, feel free to leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Can I just say that I love the look and feel of your blog. Very easy to read and well-organized. :)

    I work both as a freelancer and outside of the home, have two kiddos, partner who commutes and hour and a half both ways to and from work....yep, I feel like Super Mom. Well, sometimes. Other times I feel like a terrible mom, like when I'm on a deadline and dinner needs to be done and baths, and reading books...but we all have that too, I'm sure.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete