Friday, May 8, 2009

Residual Income, A Wonderful Thing

I have worked very hard at every job I have ever had, but freelance writing is really in a class by itself. I have never worked harder than I do now. Don't get me wrong, the rewards are great. I am able to be home with my children and I can take off whenever I want. But, freelancers don't get paid days off so when we take a day off we have to work extra or triple the amount the next day to catch up. One of the dreams of those who work from home is to work less and have more free time. It can be tough to do when you are paid by the piece rather than by the hour. A solution? Residual income.

Residual income is income you continue to earn long after the work is complete. You can earn for years off that one article. There are several websites that offer residual income. Bright Hub offers a flat fee per article and pays revenue sharing every two months. eHow and Suite 101 both offer revenue sharing as well. I have no experience with eHow or Suite 101 personally, but I have come across several writers who make a lot from these sites.

If you look on the right side of this blog you will see information on an e-book written by WriterGig. WriterGig has earned over $1,000 a month on her eHow earnings and was generous enough to compile her technique into this wonderful resource. I have purchased the e-book myself and was impressed with the simplicity of it all. Unfortunaely I have yet to put it to work due to lack of time, which is really sad for me. If I simply took a few days a week and submitted a few articles I could reach that same goal. What's great for WriterGig is that now when she takes a day off she can actually relax because she knows she is still earning money. What a great thing! Please consider purchasing her e-book. You won't regret it!

Suite 101 seems to really be a great place for residual income. I have met some freelancers online who have brought in over $500 a month. That amount goes up each month too. Suite 101 does require sample articles and an approval process before you can write. You then must contribute at least 10 articles every 3 months. That shouldn't be a problem though because that's what freelance writers do, they write!

Associated Content also offers revenue sharing. In addition to that they also offer upfront payment for articles too.

Look on the right side of the blog to find links to these sites.

So, my plan is to apply to Suite 101 sometime this month and start submitting. I also want to start submitting to eHow. In a year's time I could be earning $1,000 a month in residual income. Then I can truly write for myself. Now that's something to be excited about.

If you are submitting to these sites, leave me a comment and let me and our readers know how you are doing with it. It will be great inspiration for us all. Happy Writing!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to recommend that you register as a seller(Writer) on Vois.com. They have writing projects on there that pay too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I found you:)Associated Content is pretty good. I've written two articles for them. They pay less than textbroker but I've already started earning on the revenue sharing front. Not much, but it's a start.

    ReplyDelete